Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Challenge Spelling Words

In first grade, we are trying to create differentiation in all areas. With the push to make everything Common Core aligned and challenge our students with rigor, I have been looking closer at the things I do/ create for my students. I find that I do try to acheive this in all activities. One way I have succeeded in accomplishing this is in Spelling. I give each student the Pre-Test on Mondays. If they pass it, then they get the opportunity to select 5 words that they would like to learn how to spell. They can be any 5 words that interest them. We post these words on their desks, they do Challenge Work with these words, and they get tested on Friday to see if they can spell these words. Here are some of the papers that I use during Spelling each week. I will post more throughout the week, as I use them. The children love to be a Challenge Speller. I have about 6 children each week get to do this fun activity that is special for their learning level. It amazes me at the words they come up with to spell... and that they spell them right on Friday! I am so proud of my students!!

No comments:

Post a Comment